May Updates

Life has been a whirlwind for the last few weeks. I landed in the hospital with a kidney infection roughly three weeks ago. The week after that I was out of state for a week-long work-related conference, and then following that my in-laws were in town for a good portion of the week helping us with the bathroom.

Lots of house-related happenings in the meantime, so where do things stand now?

Bathroom

The bathroom was completely demolished by the second Friday in May. Gordon largely gets credit for this (and a cousin, because we couldn’t have finished this without his help. Like literally could not have, thanks Noah!) because at this point I was in the hospital. Not the kind of vacation I envisioned having.

20160501_182204
The 1950’s bathroom from hell. This was 2 inches of concrete, mesh, and hatred.
2016-05-05
Walls are gone!
20160430_154119
A cool piece of history we found in the wall. Apparently the store closed 20 years ago.

20160501_182149

Gordon’s parents came and helped us hang cement board, build out walls, and tile the shower backing and the floor. Things actually look like a bathroom now. We finishing up the grouting, mudding, and painting ourselves.

20160515_150851 20160515_120845

2016-05-17-4 20160517_204035 2016-05-17 2016-05-18-2 2016-05-18   20160517_205044

 

Kitchen

We had kitchen cabinets delivered at the beginning of May. They are now 98% installed (the missing 2% is because we screwed up on a cabinet size and got a replacement but forgot to grab molding). We also picked out kitchen and laundry room flooring tile. We now just need appliances (delivery scheduled for June 11th) and countertop before the kitchen is done.

20160517_212504 20160517_212506 20160517_212528

Flooring

In addition to the kitchen and bathroom being worked on the hardwood floors have been finished. The upstairs was painted a horrible brown color.

20160524_192039
Downstairs
20160524_192810
Upstairs
20160519_185141
Upstairs Before
Continue Reading

Historic Commission

So along with all the other foibles of owning a historic home we also need to get the approval of the local historic commission for any large (and sometimes smallish) changes to the exterior of the house. We presented at tonight’s meeting.

Items included in our application:

  1. Painting the front door purple (Valspar Oatland Violet)
  2. Removing a chain link fence and replacing it with a wooden privacy fence
  3. Replacing all 22 windows
  4. Replacing the storm doors
  5. Replacing the broken and rotting lattice under the porch
  6. Replacing the gutted gravel driveway with cement parking strips
  7. Replacing the gable work. The only thing that wasn’t approved by the historic commission. They want us to leave our current, fragile, gable up until we can get a replica rather than replacing it with a PVC alternative. Custom millwork items are surprisingly expensive. And if they’re not surprisingly expensive they’re surprisingly expensive to ship. How fun.

The gable for reference. You can see a spindle along the top is broken and it just looks in poor shape.

20160228_143130

Following the meeting we stopped by the house and found the kitchen completely demo’ed down to the studs, the first floor bathroom flooring removed, and the pantry/nook area shelving demo’ed. Progress!
bathroom1 bathroom2 kitchen1 kitchen2 kitchen3 kitchen4
kitchen5

Continue Reading